Well we have successfully established "room time" with Evangeline which is why I am now able to sit for a few minutes and try to update this blog. She still takes naps on days thatI can tell she is really tired but my hope is that by implementing room time she will get better about playing by herself, using her imagination (not that she needs a lot of help with that), and that by skipping a nap most days, we can start to move her bedtime up to 7:30/8:00 as opposed to 8:30/9:00. And my absolute most favorite part: no more fights at bedtime! Without the nap she is pretty much ready to just lay down and sleep, ahhh so peaceful. At this moment I can watch her on the video monitor, pulling her suitcase, asking "has anyone seen a doctor?, anyone?"
Her eye is coming along nicely. The swelling has definitely gone down but it is quite purple today and the bruise seems to be spreading a bit. It really doesn't seem to bother her one bit. I ask her if it hurts and she says "ummm a little bit". I just realize that I haven't yet even explained the black eye. Wednesday night we went over to the Barton's house for dinner and as Felicia and I were walking into the living room, Evangeline and Malachi who had been jumping and spinning on the couch (a big no no), smacked right into each other. Both were crying and Felicia and I kind of chuckled as we each grabbed our child and consoled them from experiencing what is a rite of passage as far as children's injuries go. We laughed until Felicia's face dropped as she looked over at Bean. Sure enough, almost instantly her eye began to bulge out in an "egg" just above her eye. These are the parental moments that you know you'll look back on in stories and laugh but at the moment you're just unnerved. Of course these injuries look worse than they are and as I prayed for her I thanked God for His protection and the beautiful way that he designed our bodies to protect themselves. Beautiful, but so ugly. So after debates on what I should do, prayer, texts to family and friends in the medical field, a chat with the pharmacist, and of course, the FB status update posing the "what should I do" question, we went home to ice it and get some rest. I woke her again at 1 a.m. to check her coherency and give her a little more medicine and she has been just fine since. No headache the next day, no vision problems, no nothing. Again, thank you Lord. Here is what it looked like yesterday, 2 1/2 days after it happened. I have a feeling though she is going to be my dare-devil. Today as we were driving, she saw a wall of rocks next to us and said, "I could jump on those". Ay yai yai.
I admit, these are some rough moments with Evangeline. Perhaps the age, perhaps the transition with Cecily, perhaps her own personality traits. But whatever the reasons, she has absolutely been pushing her boundaries these days. It is tiring yes, but for me it is more so disheartening because I miss just enjoying my baby. Nowadays I feel as though it's just head to head combat half the time. We'll have a sweet moment and my heart sings, and the next thing you know, she's running out the front door without telling me, putting things in her mouth that she shouldn't, throwing something, or looking at me with her arms folded, pout in place, and defiant tone refusing to do what I asked. Wow, who is this little person? All I can say is that I am learning a lot through it, and i know that is the point. It's pushing me to seek God more fervently with things about her as well as things about myself.
Now onto the wonderfully adorable things about Bean. she has become a little back seat driver. She points out all the time whether we should stop, slow down, or go at lights. Sometimes she thinks we're going too fast because she can see the red light from so far back. "Mommmy, stop!" It kind of drives Jayme crazy half the time. Now he has two of us telling him how to drive. Bwaahhhaahaha.
If we tell her that we love her, she will often respond with "I love you anyway too", which is from the books "Olivia". Olivia's mom says, "you know you really wear me out sometimes, but I love you anyway", and Olivia responds, "I love you anyway too".
she was cold the other day and told me that her teeth were "chuckling".
She can pretty much dress herself now, even though I do help her most of the time.
My mom was watching her one day and they were playing dress-up. Evangeline has a pair of real sample eyeglasses that I can't even remember where they came from. My mom asked her where she got them. Evangeline said she didn't know. My mom looked at them again and said, "oh, they're Calvin Kleins", and Evangeline said, "oh. well he must have left them here I guess." hahaha!
She says "supposedly" instead of "supposed to". "Mommy we're supposedly to go to the zoo today".
Just in the last week or so she has been using the word "I" appropriately. She'll say something like,, "Mommy, you and Papa and Cecily and I are going to have dinner". I have never even corrected her on saying "me" before. I tend to not want to correct much until about kindergarten or first grade. It's too cute and it won't last.
She does mix her "g" sound and her "v" sound with each other. For instance, a marble is a "marvle" and her shovel is a "shuggle". LOVE it.
She does have a very intuitive heart. She responds to the tone of music, she questions people's expressions. for instance the other day we were at a stoplight next to a big semi truck. I couldn't see the driver from my seat but she could. She said, "Mommy that girl looks sad". So I told her to pray for that girl, that she find joy and peace, and she did. It was sweet. One of the most interesting observations that she has made is one night when we were at my parent's house and "Glee" was on in the background. she wasn't paying a bit of attention to it, just playing with toys and meandering around the living room, but all of a sudden she looked up at the t.v. and said "He not a girl" about the gay character on the show who wasn't even acting particularly flamboyant in that moment. I had no idea that she could have ever picked up on the idea of gender confusion at this age. It kind of blew me away.
Also, she picked up a receipt the other day and pretended to read it saying, "Dear God, I love you and your Holy Spirit and change a sinner's heart". I credit this primarily to the Children's Catechism CD, "Ask Me Whooo" by my friend Diana Beach Batarseh.
Onto our little Cecil-bee. What a doll baby. She gives me baby fever and she is my own baby. She is cooing, smiling, and just beginning to laugh. She smiles big every time I say "I love you", That's her favorite phrase. She speaks "Wookie" with a little gurgly sound when she talks.
She had her 2 month check-up on March 9th. She was 10 lbs 9 oz. 23" with a head circumference of 14.5. She Loooves to suck on her fingers these days, and occasionally her thumb. adorableness. She is nearly out of her size 1 diapers already because just like her mommy, her thighs are the chunkiest part of her.
She has also started to show signs of a compassionate little heart. She cried the other day when Evangeline got in trouble. I can't even remember what Evangeline was being scolded for, but it was sweet. She loves to be read to, and falls asleep every time we read books before nap. Our favorites right now are "Goodnight Moon", "The Going To Bed Book", "Snoozers", and "The Carrot Seed".
She is sleeping like a champ! This week she is officially sleeping all through the night. Her last feeding is usually around 8:30 or 9:00 p.m. and she will sleep until anywhere between 7:30 and 9:00 a.m. Ahhhh life is good. My body does seem to be weaning itself of breast-feeding. I can't seem to keep my milk supply up so I have been supplementing with formula a lot lately. She is still sleeping in our room with us. I will miss her when she does go upstairs, so I'm in no hurry. And she, unlike Evangeline really loves to be snuggled. she likes to nuzzle right into your chest or your side depending how you are holding her.
We LOVE our girls
No comments:
Post a Comment