Friday, February 12, 2010

To Potty Train or not to Potty Train?

Evangeline has pretty much just decided to potty train herself and I am trying to figure out if we are ready to go full force with this or just let it happen when it does and slowly progress. Yesterday she started to poop in her diaper while she was eating lunch and I figured that couldn't be too comfortable so I cleaned her up and let her out of her chair figuring she would finish her business in her diaper. Well she got down and headed straight for the bathroom and said "poo poo potty". So I thought "what the heck, we'll sit on it." So I sat her on the big potty and sure enough about 3 minutes later she had pooped and peed in the potty.

And then today before her nap she looked like she may be needing to poop so I asked her if she wanted to go on the potty and she sat on the big potty again with Jayme watching via Skype and pooped and peed again! I've been showing her a lot of excitement and encouragement but really I'm not sure I'm ready for this. She's still my baby, I cannot picture her walking around in little underwear. But I've heard that if you don't jump on it while they are making efforts and showing readiness you may miss the chance for another year or so. What to do? Comments and suggestions welcome.

oh and p.s. for the handful or so of you who have told me that you can't leave comments I figured out that it is a "Blogger" thing and it's done it to me on others' blogs. The first time you hit submit for a comment it tells you that it wasn't processed correctly. Just hit submit again, and you should be prompted for word verification and then comment approval.

1 comment:

Stephanie Nichols said...

I would totally go with her interest. I didn't with kailey and it took her awhile to get interested in the potty again. I know you don't want her to grow up too fast but if she is ready then I would let her go potty. Especially if she is going poop. Man that is hard for kids to want to do on the potty. On another note: I already started putting Riley on the potty. : )